Anirevo 2013 Con Report: Immersed in Anime & Japanese Culture

Over 7000 fans gathered at the Vancouver Convention Centre situated in the heart of Downtown Vancouver on August 16 to 18 for Anirevo (short for Anime Revolution) 2013! Anirevo is a celebration of Anime and Japanese culture and is held with the purpose of gathering and encouraging fans to proudly and freely enjoy their hobbies.

Over the weekend, fans flocked the East Wing of the Vancouver Convention Centre dressed up as characters from various series be it anime, games, comic books, tv shows, and movies. Like every anime convention, the cosplayers who attend make the whole event all the more enjoyable . With the variety of costumes present, people are given a lot of opportunities for photos and some fun role playing.

To hype up the festivities, Anirevo flew in an ample amount of guests including profilic North American voice actors Vic Mignogna, and Todd Haberkorn; popular internet personalities such as Jessica Nigri, and Doug Walker; leading industry companies such as Funimation, Aniplex, and Crunchyroll; and many more! In addition to this, popular Japanese voice actors Kappei Yamaguchi, and Toru Furuya made in appearance in Vancouver for the very first time, along with Angelic Pretty designers Maki and Asuka.

Fans flew from all over to meet and receive autographs from both Kappei Yamaguchi and Toru Furuya as fans rarely get an opportunity to do so in Japan. Yamaguchi-san is well-known for voicing characters such as Usopp from the popular Jump series One Piece, the eccentric detective from Death Note named L, the highschool detective from the east called Kudou Shinichi and the phantom thief, Kaitou Kid, from the Detective Conan series, and many others. Furuya-san, on the other hand, was popularized for his performance as the Gundam Pilot Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam, Tuxedo Mask from the Sailor Moon franchise, and Pegasus Seiya from Saint Seiya to name a few.

Anirevo also marks the first break through for lolita fashion brand Angelic Pretty in Canada. Fashion designers Maki and Asuka visited Vancouver, Canada to showcase designs through a fashion show; and also showed appreciation to their supporters by hosting a tea party.

Aside from meeting voice actors, we also go the opportunity to attend panels discussing topics such as Attack on Titan, Cosplay Horror Stories, and Awesome Anime Openings. The popular panels were the Q&A with voice actors such as Kappei Yamaguchi, Toru Furuya, and Vic Mignogna where fans got an opportunity to ask their favourate voice actor a question or a request. Another popular panel was the Voice actor script reading roulette where a mash-up of voice actors are asked to perform a random script while emulating their famous roles.

There was also a contest called Anime Idol where contestants competed to take home the title of Anirevo Idol 2013. Other contests includes the cosplay contest, the Anime Revolution Swimsuit Contests, Anime Music Video Contests.

It doesn’t end there however, as the number of attractions includes a concert by ORIGA, a Russian singer who gained popularity in Japan for providing the Opening for Ghost in the Shell, and Leleica, a local cover band that focuses on covering Jpop songs.

A big draw for attendees is the exhibition hall where vendors, aspiring artists, and exhibitors gather for guests to visit. This year, Anirevo showcased two itashas, which are basically vehicles wrapped in anime character themed decals, as well as a number of large paper craft creations based on series such as Dragon Ball, Gundam, and Legend of Zelda.

Another big part of the anime and otaku culture that people got to experience at Anirevo was the maid cafe where servers donning maid costumes give you a specialized service experience. In addition to this, you could also play games and take polaroid photos with the servers. We got lucky as we got to see a performance by the servers just before our time was up!

Artists from all walks of life also gathered to showcase and sell their artwork at the artist alley. Artists of various skill levels offer fan-art posters from various anime series and games for sale at great prices!

Overall, Anirevo 2013 was a big improvement from last year and we’ll hopefully see more growth in a year’s time! Anirevo is set to happen in the third week of August in 2014. Visit their website and follow them on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news and details.

_DSC1055

DSC_0215

DSC_0281

DSC_0620

DSC_5528

DSC_5747

IMG_4777

IMG_4913

IMG_4980

IMG_9923

webbg

Tags:

17 Responses to “Anirevo 2013 Con Report: Immersed in Anime & Japanese Culture”

1. October 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

People should wear what they want,rather than blindly follow others.

2. October 7, 2013 at 1:01 am #

Thank you for another great write-up. Exactly where else could anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am on the look for these facts.

3. Thanks for the great writeup. The item actually was previously some sort of leisure bill them. Glimpse complicated for you to extra introduced pleasant by you! Furthermore, how can we continue your messages?

4. October 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Hi simply wanted to offer a simple heads up and let you realize many of the photographs are not launching properly. I don’t know precisely why however think their a new relating issue. I have tried it by 50 percent different internet browsers as well as the two show precisely the same final results.

5. I’ve got enjoyable by using, result in I discovered just the thing I’m in search of. You’ve finished the four day lengthy seek out! The almighty Many thanks guy. Have got a awesome evening. Cya

6. October 11, 2013 at 8:41 am #

I’ve been browsing on-line greater than three hours lately, yet I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It is beautiful value sufficient for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the web can be much more helpful than ever before.

7. October 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm #

I cherished up to you will receive performed right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. however, you command get got an impatience over that you would like be delivering the following. unwell undoubtedly come more until now once more since precisely the similar just about very ceaselessly inside case you protect this increase.

8. October 13, 2013 at 4:30 pm #

Good examine, I recently handed down this upon a pal who had been a little bit of investigation on that. And that he truly bought us lunch time since i have discovered it for him smile Therefore allow me to rephrase in which: Thank you for lunch break! “Without pals no one would likely decide to reside, even though he had all the other items.In . simply by Aristotle.

9. October 17, 2013 at 2:51 am #

Hey there, You’ve performed a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

10. October 22, 2013 at 6:41 am #

Pretty portion of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to say that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing for your feeds and even I success you access consistently quickly.

11. October 23, 2013 at 3:49 pm #

Remember to tell me if you are seeking any author to your blog. You might have a number of great content articles but I’d be described as a excellent property. If you happen to want to try taking some in the weight away from, I’d wish to write several articles on your blog in substitution for a web link time for my own. You should boost me personally a great e-mail in case curious. Regards!

12. October 27, 2013 at 12:44 am #

Thanks for another magnificent article. The place else could anyone get that type of info in such an ideal manner of writing? I have a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the search for such information.

13. October 29, 2013 at 9:28 pm #

I simply couldn’t depart your website before suggesting that I really loved the standard info an individual provide for your guests? Is gonna be again often to check up on new posts

14. November 2, 2013 at 7:58 pm #

Thank you for an execllent write-up. Wherever different might anybody wardrobe form of info in that ideal way of writing? I have a demonstration in a few days, and i’m about the seek out such information.

15. November 15, 2013 at 6:23 am #

I have been browsing on-line more than three hours nowadays, but I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It’s beautiful price sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the internet will be a lot more helpful than ever before.

16. November 25, 2013 at 6:08 am #

Nice respond in return of this difficulty with firm arguments
    and telling everything on the topic of that.

• November 28, 2014 at 8:58 am #

Thank you for lunch break! “Without pals no one would likely decide to reside, even though he had all the other items.In . You might have a number of great content articles but I’d be described as a excellent property.